In the world of business, growth is often synonymous with success. However, achieving sustainable growth is easier said than done. For many small businesses, navigating the complexities of expansion can be daunting. That’s where programmes such as Goldman Sachs’ 10,000 Small Businesses (10KSB) come into play. In this blog, we’ll explore the key takeaways from the recent Alumni Programme: Re-Charging 10KSB program and how it has made a substantial impact on how Marshall Wolfe operates.
Time to Reflect: Fireside Chat with Alumni
Our recent session included a fireside chat that brought together Jayne Norris, Aman Chahal, and Alison Hargreaves, all graduates of Goldman Sachs’ 10KSB program. Hosted by Niall Daly, this gathering was an opportunity to reflect on their experiences and share the insights they’ve gained. This gathering served as a platform for them to reminisce about their journey, exchange valuable insights, and foster a sense of community among the alumni. It was a wonderful occasion for the community to convene, celebrate their achievements, and explore recommendations from their peers.
Key Learnings: Nuggets of Wisdom
During the fireside chat, the alumni discussed several key learnings that have played a pivotal role in shaping their businesses:
- Be Patient: Growth takes time. It’s easy to get caught up in the need for rapid expansion, but sometimes, patience is the key to long-term success.
- Prioritise Small and Impactful Steps: Instead of trying to tackle everything at once, focus on small, impactful changes that can make a significant difference.
- Engage with the Team: Listening to your team’s ideas is essential. They are often the ones on the front lines and can provide valuable insights into improving processes and strategies.
- Data Metrics: Understanding and utilising data metrics is crucial for making informed decisions. Data-driven insights can guide your business toward growth and efficiency.
Biggest Impact Modules
Each alumnus highlighted the modules that had the most significant impact on their business:
- Aman Chahal: For Aman, the Leadership module was a game-changer. It provided him with an opportunity to reflect on his leadership style, recharge his approach, and build meaningful relationships within his team.
- Alison Hargreaves: Alison found the Operations module to be particularly valuable. It allowed her to identify inefficiencies in her business operations from being over-cautious. Her team’s focus on customer care had led to unnecessary double-checking of processes.
The chat also revealed the positive changes that these entrepreneurs have experienced since participating in the Recharge programme:
- Aman Chahal: Learning to trust his team more has been transformative. Delegating responsibilities and stepping away when necessary has not only reduced his workload but also empowered his team.
- Alison Hargreaves: The ability to showcase case studies has boosted Alison’s business. It not only demonstrates the quality of their work but also serves as a powerful marketing tool.
- Jayne Norris: Jayne shared her newfound commitment to avoid trying to do too many things at once. This focus on prioritisation has allowed her to allocate resources more effectively and achieve better results.
Marshall Wolfe’s Journey
For Marshall Wolfe, this programme was an invaluable investment of time and energy. It allowed us to refocus our approach both internally and externally:
- Internal Focus: We are dedicated to empowering and engaging our team, recognising that a motivated workforce is crucial to sustained growth.
- External Engagement: The programme helped us drive referrals, recommendations, and gather testimonials from satisfied customers, which further supported our reputation for excellent work.
- Operational Efficiency: Through the insights gained in the Operations module, we have optimised our internal processes, leading to a more efficient and productive business; especially within compliance.
Programmes like Goldman Sachs’ 10KSB have proven to be a lifeline for entrepreneurs seeking growth and success. The shared experiences and invaluable lessons from alumni’s Jayne Norris, Aman Chahal, and Alison Hargreaves are a testament to the programme’s effectiveness. Marshall Wolfe and countless other businesses have benefited immensely from this initiative, and it’s a testament to Goldman Sachs’ commitment to supporting small businesses across the UK.
So, here’s to the continued success of small businesses, fuelled by programmes such as 10KSB, and to the ever-growing community of entrepreneurs committed to building a brighter future for their companies and communities alike.