As we move into November, we reflect on Black History Month 2023 and this year’s theme ‘Saluting Our Sisters’. Our team embraced this year’s theme by engaging in thought-provoking discussions about the workplace experiences of Black women, exploring statistics in the workplace, sharing and discussing resources, as well as engaging in an activity centered around quotes from influential Black women.
Among the many impactful quotes we encountered during our workshop, we’ve compiled a roundup of our team’s top picks:
- “Instead of looking at the past, I put myself ahead twenty years and try to look at what I need to do now in order to get there then.” – Diana Ross
- “You have to believe in yourself when no one else does.” – Serena Williams
- “I am no longer accepting the things I cannot change. I am changing the things I cannot accept.” – Angela Davis
- “Our motto is, when they go low, we go high.” – Michelle Obama
- “As Black women, we’re always given these seemingly devastating experiences – experiences that could absolutely break us. But what the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly. What we do as Black women is take the worst situations and create from that point.” – Viola Davis
- “When we’re talking about diversity, it’s not a box to check. It is a reality that should be deeply felt and held and valued by all of us.” – Ava DuVernay
These quotes served as powerful sources of inspiration and wisdom, embodying the strength, resilience, and determination of Black women throughout history.
Marshall Wolfe’s commitment to promoting diversity and inclusion extends beyond Black History Month. We shared many resources, including books, films, TV shows, and podcasts that celebrate the achievements and stories of a variety of Black women. Our goal is to encourage ongoing learning and engagement, rather than confining the conversation to a single month.
If you’d like to share any resources or would like a full list of the ones we explored please do reach out to us.